October 2, 2006
Laurentian Chapter Hosts 2006 Fall Outing
On the weekend of Sept 29 - Oct 1, 2006, the Laurentian chapter hosted the ADK’s Fall Outing in Star Lake. The Outing was headquartered in Star Lake at the campus of Houghton College. Laurentian chapter members provided all the organization and trip leadership.
Events began at noon on Friday with registration and short hikes to Bear Mountain and the Cathedral Rock fire tower.
On a sunny Saturday morning a wide assortment of outdoor trips set out. These included:
Short and medium-length hikes:
- explored the shoreline of Cranberry Lake (some involving boat rides to remote trailheads, courtesy of local residents)
- Tooley Pond Mountain
- the waterfalls of the Grasse River along the Tooley Pond Road.
- Grass Pond Mountain, beloved of early conservationist Bob Marshall
- Cat Mountain, the highest viewpoint in the region
- Colvin’s Great Corner, of great historical importance in the Adirondack Survey of 1878 and now marking the southwest corner of St. Lawrence County
There were also paddling trips on the Grasse and the Oswegatchie Rivers.
Almost every trip reported adventure, including minor injuries, impassible trail conditions, and deep stream crossings, among others; but in the end profound enjoyment and appreciation of this wonderful corner of the Adirondacks.
Trippers exchanged stories at a social hour at the Cranberry Lake Lodge, and then enjoyed a banquet at the College and musical entertainment by Dan Berggren and Dan Duggan.
Sunday’s activities, under a threatening overcast and a few sprinkles of rain, included shorter hikes, paddles and cultural events to allow an early departure for home.
Some destinations included:
- hikes on the Moore, Peavine Swamp, and Ranger School trails and on Mt. Arab near Tupper Lake
- a historical walking tour of the village, all based in Wanakena
- paddling trips on the Oswegatchie and on Dead Creek, a tributary of the Raquette.
- tours of the Wild Center in Tupper Lake and Inman Gulf in Tug Hill State Forest
The 150 or so participants, from fully twenty two of the chapters, had a wonderful time, and appreciated the efforts of all the volunteers who led the trips and did the organizing.
Special recognition was accorded to the local people of Star Lake, including the staff of the Houghton College Campus, local residents who provided and coordinated accommodations and boat transportation, and the Clifton Fine Community Center.
Loud and long applause was accorded to the co-chairs and prime organizers of the 2006 ADK Fall Outing, Tom Ortmeyer and Eileen Wheeler, both of Potsdam.
Oct 2, 2006: Laurentian Chapter Hosts 2006 Fall Outing